Crusty, Rusty DIY

This is a DIY project where you can take almost anything and give it a old, crusty, rusty appearance. I chose a $2.00 lamp to experiment on.  This is what I was going for:



This was a make it up as I go project. First I started with a shiny brass lamp I found for $2.00 at a junk store. Of course, I started painting before I  remembered the camera.


First I spray painted the lamp two coats of white.



Next I took craft paint in Burnt Umber and Brick Red and dry brushed these colors on the lamp. I was trying to achieve a rusty appearance. You want to leave some of the white showing.



At this point I am thinking this is the ugliest thing and I should just abandon this project!  It could not look any worse so I decided to persevere. Next I took wall Spackle and randomly applied it to the lamp. I started out using a small trowel but found out it worked better using my fingers. Leave areas of the dark paint showing.
Just play with the Spackle until you get a look you are happy with.  Below is the final result.



And another close up.


If you wanted a smoother appearance use your dampened  finger to smooth while the Spackle is still wet. You can also lightly sand when dry.


I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day. We celebrated yesterday with our son and family. Our community pool opened this weekend and the grandchildren had so much fun swimming. Afterwards we had a cookout at our house.  It was a fun time and good food.

Drop by the following parties and look at all the projects and goodies for this week.


Hugs,
Sherry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

House Minimalist Modern Design11 237x300 Minimalist House Design Tips

Started Affect Home Prices Timeyear Home