Minus Wallpaper…Plus Neutrals

I so wanted to participate in Jennifer's Style Evolution Party this week because my style has changed tremendously over the last couple of years.

I was sharing with my friend  Becky at Buckets of Burlap the other day that I think I have really just discovered what my style truly is. 

I have spent the most part of my married life trying to decorate my home with other people’s personalities in mind…not mine.  Does that make any sense at all?

Most everything I had was dark, heavy, and probably bought at Kirkland’s.  I’ve told you before that I have absolutely nothing against Kirkland’s, it just really didn’t represent who I was and what I wanted my home to say.

I also read something the recently that said you shouldn’t hang anything on your wall that didn’t mean something to you or have some special significance.  That one comment has really stuck with me.

When my “style” began becoming more clear to me a couple of years ago, the first thing I had to do was take down loads of wallpaper that had been hung in our home ten years ago.

I want to show you today just a few photos of one of the first rooms that got really changed in our home.  I would love to show you few more photos of the room, but right now it is covered in some awesome vintage goodies that are being prepared for a new adventure I am going on. 

***

This is my dining room a little over a year ago…

DR Before

dr before 2

After the wallpaper came down, it looked oh so much better…

Like breathe easier better…

 

buffet

server

cabinet

I would love to eventually show you every room that has been transformed.  I think that would actually be every room in my house except for my husband’s study.  The decor has changed in there but the paint color has remained the same.  It began as a deep Brafferton Blue which looks blue/black sometimes and blue/gray other times.  That color is still great for us!

***

I would love to say to you that you need to make your home who you are.  Pick things that are special to you and make you happy. 

***

I am learning to simplify.

I am learning to scale down.

  I am learning that I don’t have to have everything out that I own just because I have it.  There are a lot of things up in my attic that I love that will take a spot in my home at the right time but right now may not be the right time. 

I have a lot to learn, but I am learning.

***

Remember to be true to yourself in all that you do, even when decorating your home. 

 

I am heading over to Jennifer's now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

House Minimalist Modern Design11 237x300 Minimalist House Design Tips

Started Affect Home Prices Timeyear Home